Residents told to be aware of conmen
Residents in Sutton Coldfield have b been warned to be aware of a new breed of scammers using the Census to perpetrate doorstep, telephone and online scams.
Census Day was last Sunday 21 March and from the end of the month until into April, census field officers will be visiting households across the town from which they have not received a completed census form. Their job is to encourage people to complete the census and help residents to access further help if they need it.
Scammers may seek to use the Census as an opportunity to perpetrate doorstep, telephone, and online scams, so it is important to remember the following:
- At no point will you be asked for your national insurance number, passwords, bank account details, or your credit or debit card numbers, nor any payment
- You will not receive any payment for completing the census, so any offers of money in exchange for your account details will be fraudulent
- You will not be called for information about the census unless you’ve made an appointment with the Census Contact Centre or made a query or complaint
- No-one will enter your home in relation to the census
- Help to fill out your form is free (for more information visit: https://census.gov.uk/ or phone 0800 141 2021)
- You can report a fraud direct to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or visit: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/